Sunday, July 24, 2011

Benjamin´s Unmarred Meat Marinades

Chicken; I'll start here with a classic. Yakitori! The recipe obviously is not mine, but having wrestled it at great personal cost from a creepy employer, I do feel it deserves this place of honor.
Reduce on low heat: 1 part soy sauce, 1 part meirin, 1 part castor sugar. Don't reduce too much, because, when cool, it will be too dense and sticky to use. Always use the fattier parts of chicken, or you'll get a dry and tedious result.

Beef; This marinade emphasizes the full, reddish sweetness of beef. It's wonderfull for a sunny, mediterranean barbecue.
Mix olive oil, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, oregano and tomato-paste (as thick as you can get), a couple of crushed garlic cloves, red wine.

Crocodile; This is amazing meat; delicate and pinkish white, lean, with amazing long fiber. Your marinade should also tenderize it, by adding enough acid. You´ll see that I tried to stay close to the animal´s habitat in its garnishing. I suspect that gator meat is similar at the outset, though I would fear that swampy nutrition would give it a muddy taste. Don´t let my musings keep you from trying.
Mix rice-bran oil, a spoon of sesame oil, some crushed ginger, garlic, lemon grass, and red pepper, a few limes cut to pieces, salt.

Lamb; I've organized this one around a North-African taste-theme. It's nice, not as explosive as these times might suggest, and well suited to temper the fatty and sometimes dominant scents of this meat. If you generally find lamb too ancid, it helps to rinse it in cold running water.
Mix olive oil, salt, some dried or fresh red pepper, lemon juice, orange peel, a pinch of cumin and cloves, honey. If you want some chopped parsley or cilantro.

Porc; Porc can be quite delicate and I wanted to bring out that aspect with this marinade.
Mix white wine, a spoon of almond oil, salt, green pepper, tarragon (not too much!).

Wild Boar; Wild boar, as all game, is powerfull in taste so you need to garnish it with power in order to reach some sort of balance. The gamey notes harmonize well with spices, so I followed a rather classic style.
Mix olive oil, red wine, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, crushed garlic, chopped onion. Choose your cuts well, since not all of the boar will be fatty and tender enough for your bbq.

Horse; For fear of all sorts web-attacks and legal trouble, I'll only let the thought sink in for now. If you want it, I'll definitely post a marinade for horse meat.

1 comment:

  1. I have found that Balsamic vinegar makes a really good base for a pork marinade. I'll try yours the next time I make pork tenderloin.

    ReplyDelete